Friday, January 30, 2009

Old Favorites Part I

Based on the contents of this blog so far, one might think I only like contemporary artists. But that's not the case, so I'm going to show some of my all time favorite artists in a new installment: Old Favorites.

First out is my absolute favorite, the constant answer to the question "what famous person would you like to meet, dead or alive", and the reason for my planned 30th birthday celebration trip to Mexico City; Frida Kahlo.

Frida Kahlo (1907-1954) probably does not need a closer introduction since she is famous even outside of the art world, she has even become somewhat of a cult person in recent years. She lead a stormy, unconventional life where art was the outlet for her mental and physical pain.

I first came in contact with Frida Kahlo's art in my early teens when my mom purchased a book about her. I remember not liking her art at first. I think the imagery was too intense and personal for me. It wasn't very pretty so I just didn't get it. But it wasn't long before I was totally mesmerized by both her persona and her art.

Here are some of my favorites:


What the water gave me (1938)


Tree of Hope (1946)


The Suicide of Dorothy Hale (1939)


The Two Fridas (1939)


The Little Deer (1946)


The Love Embrace of the Universe, the Earth, Diego, Me, and SeƱor Xolotl (1949)


Self Portrait with Thorn Necklace and Hummingbird (1940)


Self Portrait with Cropped Hair (1940)


Self Portrait Dedicated to Dr. Eloesser and daughters (1940)


Roots (1943)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aha, a lot of interesting pictures and informative text. I like it! Mom